Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Marylin Minter Response

I began just by looking at the images, but hearing her speak a little about her images helped me after I became somewhat confused looking at photos of the four billboards. Truth is one of the first things that Minter mentions as a motive in the video clip, which is an interesting change of topic, which is coming at the right time. I was becoming a bit too skeptical.

One of the first things that came to mind when I watched the video clip was the Dove Real Beauty Campaign (if you haven't seen this definitely check it out). What the general public sees when they look at common advertisements tends to be a fabrication, obviously this is the case in the Dove video. Minter seems to have something to prove with her decision to show the ugly truth. By renting the four commercial billboard spaces and putting up these images with no textual explanations Minter is attracting attention to the truth, which she is trying to expose. I personally think that advertisements that lack an obvious explanation stick with the viewers longer as they try to find their own reasoning behind the ad.

No comments: